It is the responsibility of all parents to teach their children valuable characteristics that I like to call “the basics”. They consist of things like cooking, cleaning, behaving well in public, and anything else of this simplistic nature. However, “good parents” take this a step further. They stress the importance of treating others the way in which one would like to be treated. They teach their children the true meaning of responsibility and accountability. They go the extra mile to offer their children anything that they feel as though they valued growing up themselves or weren’t lucky enough to have. Yet, black parents have even larger steps to take. But how? How does one’s race impact their parenting?
Children learn so much from the outside world, just as they do from their life within the home. Yet, it is harder for black children to learn self love, black pride, or their true value outside of the walls of their home. The “world” doesn’t believe in the black child. Because of this black parents need to edify their children on these things as well.
- You are powerful… This is what the world won’t tell your children. They refuse to let your children know that they have the ability to control and influence things/people. Why would the world want your children to know the magnitude of their strength when their fortitude can take over the world?
- Your beauty is worth billions… In 2013 Americans alone spent over 12 billion dollars on plastic surgery. A large portion of this money was spent to look like them. Full lips, full breasts, and noses that won’t protrude too far from one’s face. People risk skin cancer laying in tanning beds to look just like them.Teach your children to love their melanin.
- Black love is alive and real… The world wants your children to believe that it is okay for them to have children without the mere thought of marriage because black love doesn’t exist. Blacks don’t get married. All black homes are broken. FALSE. Black love is alive and well. Back when other races were marrying for convenience or prestige blacks were marrying in private ceremonies for nothing more than LOVE. When slaves were forbidden to build families black men and women were jumping the broom in the middle of the night before the eyes of God. Black love is very real.
- Racism is not dead… People will dislike them, mistreat them, and disrespect them because of the color of their skin. They can get lynched, fatally beaten, and shot to death because of their melanin…still. Be aware and be informed.
- You feel and it’s okay…Black people see therapists. Black people cry. Black people hurt like everyone else. It’s “taboo” to show emotions within the black community. It is the responsibility of parents to teach their children that it is okay to cry just as it is to seek mental healthcare when necessary.
Black parents must teach their children self-love because the media…the world…will teach them different.