They are finding bodies around the city of Chicago. Women of various ages are being discarded like trash. They are daughters, mothers, sisters, aunts, friends…. Women who mean something to someone. Women who mean everything to someone. They are snatching Chicago’s babies and tossing them in the back of vehicles…never to be seen again. Sadly, I’m scared to go outside alone. Even if it’s to the store, even if it’s in broad daylight. So what do we do? We advocate for our women and children. We spread the word about their disappearance since the amber alerts are failing to mention them. My phone has not beeped once. We form search parties to go look for those who have not returned home. We take necessary measures to be safe when we have no choice but to function alone outside. Because the reality is some of us have no choice but to work late hours or fend for ourselves. Below are some safety tips that may seem small but could be the difference between life and death.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look around you. You can actually prevent an attack by looking someone in the eye because they will be afraid you can identify them.
- Fight back. If someone grabs you, fight back. Kick, bite, and dig with your nails.
- Keep your doors and windows locked on your car. When exiting your car move quickly. Try talking on a headset to someone who knows where you are. Talking with the actual cellphone to your face can distract you.
- Don’t let your children walk to school/summer camp/the store alone. Try to figure something else out.
- Carry a whistle or an alarm. Bring attention to yourself if someone is trying to grab you. Be as loud as possible.
- Carry something that can be used as a weapon. Carry a screwdriver, put keys in between your knuckles, or carry mace.
- Share your location with someone via telephone. My best friend has my location 24/7. If I ever need to be found and I still have my phone on me she can find me.
- Invest (if possible) in GPS tracker watches for your children. Amazon has many brands for very low cost.
May God be with Chicago…
Photo credit: Face off by Ahsr